10 things school DOESN’T teach you
In school, we are taught so many things — maths, science, english, art, drama, p.e and the list goes on and on. But have you ever wondered — “When am I ever going to use this in the real world?” I mean imagine learning pythagoras theorem only to become a Bollywood actor where even physics doesn’t matter.
Don’t get me wrong, school is a wonderful place. You make new friends and learn a lot of things you didn’t know before. You become a part of a community. But there are a lot of life skills school doesn’t teach you.
- How to face failure — You’re only taught how to not fail. Nowhere will they teach you how to bounce back from failure. How to pick yourself up and try again using a different tactic. There are lots of ways to deal with it and have another go which the school doesn’t teach you.
- How to think — Critical thinking is a very important skill which again is not taught in school. They expect you to learn it yourself without any proper guidance which means that you will probably learn it wrong.
- How to communicate effectively — There are lots of ways to communicate with people in different situations. The only communication taught in school is simple, polite communication. What about professional communication? How do you talk to someone who is upset?
- Principles of Success — You are told to be successful but they don’t even teach you how to be successful or what does successful even mean? They don’t teach you the 6 principles for success — Gratitude, Integrity, Value, Persistence, Loyalty and Contribution.
- How to find your true passion — “Follow your passion”. You have probably heard that like a million times but what if you have multiple passions? And what if you don’t have a lot of time to explore all of them? How do you find the right one? Schools should be helping students with all this but instead they are not. At no time in school is there a lesson on how to find your true passion.
One very important aspect of life is finance. Basically, money related stuff. And schools don’t even teach that!
6. How to invest money — Now school is a place from which we go onto getting jobs and starting work. But shouldn’t schools be teaching us how to grow our money once we get it. Almost all people have to learn it themselves which means additional time being spent on top of the years and years spent in school. If only schools did this, it would save a massive amount of time.
7. How to file your taxes — Until you get into the adult world or you get to a time when you are getting paid but are getting taxed on it this won’t come into play. But schools should still teach this as at one time or another everyone will have to do it. What are taxes? Why are taxes? How do I pay taxes?
8. How to read a financial statement — What is a financial statement? From there our questions begin. We aren’t even taught about what it is, let alone how to read one.
9. How to handle money — Once you get yourself your first salary or a bunch of money, what’s the first thing you should do? Ideally you want to just go out and spend it on eating out, cinema and buying expensive things you don’t really need. But, no. You shouldn’t do that and that’s exactly what school needs to teach us. To create budgets, save a certain percentage of it and where to put it so it will grow.
How to start a business — There are tons and tons of things you need to start a business and the school doesn’t even tell you or encourage you to start one. School fails entrepreneurs because it’s made for workers.